WHO warns Ebola could spread elsewhere if attacks don't stop

DAKAR, Senegal — The World Health Organization is warning it may not be possible to contain Ebola to the two affected provinces in eastern Congo if violent attacks on health teams continue.

In an update Friday, WHO warned that Ebola response activities had been halted for five consecutive days because of the insecurity.

In one incident, WHO said that a burial team was violently attacked after they interred an Ebola victim.

The area has been destabilized by the presence of Mai-Mai militia fighters, making it impossible for health workers to travel to some areas.

That has hampered isolation of sick patients and allowed them to remain in their communities where they have spread the disease to other people.

WHO said there now have been 1,069 deaths since the outbreak began in August.

Peaple also read these

Egypt, Sudan, Ethiopia fail to agree on Nile...

May 8, 2018

An Egyptian official says Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia have again failed to make progress on their...

UN rushes aid to hunger-stricken Yemeni district

Sep 25, 2018

UN, donors rush food to desperate corner of northern Yemen where starving villagers were living off...

Archaeologists discover ancient workshop in...

Feb 12, 2019

Egypt says archaeologists have uncovered an ancient workshop used to build and repair ships that...

Egyptian singer banned after claiming lack of...

Mar 23, 2019

An Egyptian singer has been banned from performing in her home country after suggesting that it...

The Latest: UN Libya condemns increase in heavy...

Apr 16, 2019

U.N. political mission in Libya condemns increased use of heavy weapons and indiscriminate shelling...

Latest news

About Us

Delivering news from all over the globe, StarJournal keeps you abreast with the greatest minds in science, be it researchers, theorists or even popularizers.

Subscribe Now!